Commitment to Equity Pre-Service Student Stipend
Nomination Form Deadline: November 1
Award Bestowed: February Symposium
Purpose: To provide a one-time stipend to a student identifying as a person of color, be enrolled in an initial certification/licensure program, and have a demonstrated interest in the field of behavior disorders.
- A complimentary conference registration is provided with each award. MSLBD will provide a stipend toward travel and lodging expenses of up to $700.
1. Applicants must have been accepted in a teacher preparation program that leads to initial special education certification/licensure.
2. Must be a full-time student as determined by the applicant's college or university.
3. Applicants must provide the following:
- a copy of a current résumé.
- a current transcript showing coursework in progress and anticipated graduation date.
- a brief statement (1-2 pages) of how their personal identity impacts their professional goals related to teaching students with behavior disorders.
- two (2) letters of recommendation (one from a current professor).
4. While initial certification programs are offered at the undergraduate and graduate levels, the priority for this award will be for undergraduate applicants.
Procedure: The Awards Committee of the Midwest Symposium for Leadership in Behavior Disorders will select stipend recipients based on the transcripts, goals, and recommendations provided. Due to the overrepresentation of students of color in the category of EBD, priority for this award will be given to a pre-service teacher of color who plans to work in settings primarily serving students of color.
Awards Announced: December via letter or email.
Recognition: Recipients will be recognized & stipends disbursed at the MSLBD Symposium conference at the end of February in Kansas City, MO. Complimentary conference registration is provided with each award. MSLBD will provide a stipend toward travel and lodging expenses of up to $700. We would love award winners to attend the conference to be honored.